Ross on Wye and the Wye Valley Home Page, Click here to watch high definition scenic video films of Ross-on-Wye, the Wye Valley and Forest of Dean.
The place for information on Ross-on-Wye and the Wye Valley

>>> Continue to the next item >>>......................... Bookmark and Share <<< Go to the latest Wyenot News Index Page <<<

Saturday proved to be a frustrating afternoon for Ross RFC for after dominating an exhilarating encounter, they fell agonizingly short of overhauling Old Colstonians lead and the refereeís final whistle halted a great second half comeback.

From the kick off Ross quickly established territory deep in the Colstonians half. Some strong running from Tim Hanks, Wayne Williams and Ali Rees kept the Colstonians on the back foot. From this platform, scrum half James Hughes was able to snipe around rucks and ensure the Colstonian defence could not rest. The only thing missing from this impressive passage of play was a score and to add insult to injury, with their first foray into the Ross half, the Colstonians opened the scoring with a penalty.

From the restart Ross went back on the offensive and this time they ensured they came away with points. From a well taken Matt Jones lineout, prop Tara Barnett took the ball into the twenty two. Quick ball put outside half Simon Gwynne in space and a well timed miss pass to fullback Chay Brine saw him coast in to score. The conversion was missed and Ross deservedly led 5-3. Ross continued to dominate upfront with Ashley Nelms, Chris Price and Gavin Oates, all carrying the ball hard into the Colstonian defence. It only seemed a matter of time before Ross would increase their lead. However, with 5 minutes to half time Ross made the mistake of switching off. The Colstonians delivered a killer blow in the form to two late tries and after dominating the half, Ross turned round at half time 15-5 down.

Ross knew they had to score first in the second half and they duly struck the first blow. After both Luke Gray and Huw Bellamy went close, it was scrum half James Hughes who was able to wriggle over to score. He converted his try and Ross had closed the gap to 15-12 and it seemed to be game on. However, once again Ross lost concentration and in a 10 minute period the Old Colstonians added two more tries and a drop goal to lead 28-12 with 20 minutes to go. It seemed the game was over, however Ross gathered themselves and threw everything at the Colstonians. Keeping the ball in hand, they continued to build pressure. Some strong running from Casey Morgan and Mike Davies put them deep in the Colstonian twenty two and once again, James Hughes was able to cross for another score. He converted and Ross were 28-19 down with 10 minutes remaining.

From the kick off Wayne Williams fed Mike Davies, who broke two tackles before being tackled himself. Quick hands from Ashley Nelms and Matt Jones put Gavin Oates clear. Ross moved the ball quickly left, Bas Parker broke through a tackle before passing to Craig Creed who was tackled 5 metres short of the line. However, Gavin Oates was able to pick from the back off the ruck and crash over to score. The conversion was missed but Ross were now only 4 points adrift with 5 minutes of the game left.

The Old Colstonians were now just hanging on. Once again from the kick off, Wayne Williams secured the ball and Matt Redman, then Gavin Oates made ground. Ross moved the ball left and Centre, Luke Gray accelerated into the Colstonian twenty two before being tackled. The ball was moved quickly right and prop Wayne Williams put a grubber kick through for Casey Morgan to chase. However, as the ball bounced over the line he was beaten to the touch down by the Colstonian fullback. From the twenty two drop out Ross knocked on and from the resulting scrum, Colstonians kicked the ball dead and Rossís comeback had fallen just short.

The Ross RFC GMP Web Design Man of the Match was Tim Hanks.

Next Saturday, 17th October Ross are away to Old Richians of Gloucester. Kick off is at 3pm.

Man of the Match, Tim Hanks in action.

The Ross pack putting up a great fight.


Ross United Under 13s.

Ross United U 13ís were home to Westfields on Sunday morning. The game was played in mild, dull conditions and started with Westfields on the attack. Their persistence was rewarded when a long shot looped over Goalkeeper, Kieran to make the score 1-0 to the visitors.

Ross competed well with the back four of Colin, Dan, Ollie and Ralph making important interceptions and last ditch challenges. Rossís attack was led well by Jakeís energy supported by Peter and George. However, Westfields scored again after 16 minutes to make it 2-0, a score that was held until half time due to some excellent goal keeping by Kieran, supported by the hardworking midfield of Josh, Harry, Dan L, Liam and Jacob.

The second half started in the same way, with Ross on the back foot and the score would have been added to if Josh and then Ollie had not made goal line clearances. The constant pressure applied by Westfields continued and they managed to score a further five goals during the half without a Ross reply.

The Manager and Coach praised the effort of the whole team throughout the game, and this will pay dividends against other teams in the league throughout the season. The Man of the Match was awarded to Ollie and the coaches Man of the Match was awarded to Kieran. The Ross United Team are: Kieran, Ralph, Dan, Ollie, Colin, Josh, Harry, Dan L, Jacob, Peter, Jake, Liam and George.

>>> Continue to the next item >>>.......................... Bookmark and Share <<< Go to the latest Wyenot News Index Page <<<


Photography, video and web design copyright © Alan J. Wood, All rights reserved.